Tuesday 28 January 2014

Welsh Alpine Championships

ÛIt hasn't been the best week or so for me. Last Tuesday and Wednesday I went over to Champery in Switzerland for the Welsh FIS races. 
In the slalom the conditions were pretty difficult, there was poor visibility and soft snow. I completed my first run in a reasonable time but was angry with myself due the number of silly mistakes I kept making. I made the top 30 flip for the second and going down 4th gave me a good opportunity to make up some time, but I made a huge mistake halfway down the course and didn't finish.

(FIS Slalom start area)

Wednesday was my first GS race of the season. I think I was more anxious than necessary as I'd put a lot of pressure on myself to better my points along with adapting to the new ski. The conditions were brilliant with grippy snow and sunshine and I really enjoyed the first course! I skied solidly on my first run and made the 30 flip. I was so up for the second run and skied well but I didn't ski with my head, completely misinterpretating my line over the terrain changes I missed a gate and skied out.


To get more race practice I fore ran the children's BASS GS. Conditions weren't as good as the FIS race and the course was tough as it was set slightly tighter for children's skis but I think it was a good experience.

(Me and Jazzy Butcher inspecting the BASS GS)

(Me in the start gate)

I was meant to be competing in an GS race in Italy on Sunday but that was cancelled due to poor snow conditions so I spent the weekend coaching the under 10 and 12 weekend skiers in Les Houches. We did a mixture of free skiing and technical work, gates and off piste jumps in the trees. We definitely covered a few miles on the skis and it was good fun.

Yesterday I was back into training, due to the GS in Italy being cancelled we found a double Super G in Meribel to enter, so we got out the speed skis. As it had snowed overnight the conditions were too soft to set, so we just free skied. Unfortunately I managed to crash going over a roller 4th run into the day. I can't really remember what happened...... But I was put in a blood wagon and sent in an ambulance to Sallanches hospital. After spending 6 hours in a neck brace getting a nice view of the hospital ceiling I found out I had concussion and sprained the top 2 vertebrae in my neck. This means I can no longer race in Meribel but fingers crossed I'll be ok to race in two slaloms in Combloux at the weekend!

(On the Super G skis)


X

No comments:

Post a Comment